This is our premium cycle tour and our most popular
product. Enjoy the luxury of a fully supported
(Please note that your driver may recommend some modifications
to this itinerary, depending on circumstances at the time.)
Day 1 - Clyde to Lauder (44kms)
- Pick up in Queenstown between 8.00 and 8.30am
- Transfer in Off The Rails' van to start of the Rail Trail in
- Bikes, helmets, panniers fitted to begin cycling around
- Our driver will meet you in Alexandra, to make sure everyone is
comfortable and riding well.
- A couple of hours' cycling across the Manuherikia River and
through Tucker Hill gold diggings.
- Lunch at the historic Chatto Creek Tavern. Our driver will
check in with you here and see how you're all going.
- After lunch, grab Tiger Hill by the tail (at a gradient of
1:50, there's nothing to panic about)
- Down hill to Omakau and Lauder. Our driver can meet you at
either destination and will bring you to our accommodation in
- Dinner: Ranfurly Lion Hotel
Day 2 - Lauder to Ranfurly (48kms)
- After breakfast, our driver will return you to wherever you
finished cycling the day before.
- Crossing the Manuherikia River again, through the Poolburn
Gorge tunnels and onto the 37m high Poolburn Viaduct.
- Then down the Raggedy Range to the Ida Valley, with the Ida
Burn Dam, which is a natural skating rink in winter.
- A side trip to the Hayes Engineering Works can be made before
lunch at the Oturehua Tavern or the historic Gilchrist's
- After lunch the Rail Trail's other hill takes you up to Rough
Ridge and the highest point of the Trail at 618m.
- Then it's an easy ride down to Wedderburn and the possibility
of afternoon refreshments before the final 8kms into Ranfurly.
- Dinner: Our driver will take you to a historic country hotel
Day 3 - Ranfurly to Hyde (32kms)
- Ride from Ranfurly across the Maniototo Plain to Waipiata
- Then a pretty run following the Taieri River to Kokonga and
- Prices Creek brings you a 32m high Viaduct and 152m long Tunnel
(this is where you really need that torch!).
- Late lunch stop at the Otago Central Hotel in Hyde, with its
view back down the trail you've just ridden.
- Our driver will meet you here and bring you home to Ranfurly
for some r&r before heading off to Naseby, where you can try
your hand at the ancient Scottish sport of curling before dining at
an iconic pub dating back to the 1860's.
Day 4 - Hyde to Middlemarch (27kms)
- After breakfast, our driver will take you back to Hyde to pick
up where you left off.
- You'll cycle past the Hyde Railway Station an on to Straw
Cutting where 21 people lost their lives in a tragic accident in
- Then you leave the Taieri Gorge behind as the land broadens
into the Strath Taieri plain.
- Look out for cloud formations known as the Taieri Pet over the
Rock and Pillar range.
- Off The Rails' driver will meet you at the end of the Trail in
Middlemarch and take you to one of the charming cafes for some
- If you have chosen to travel on to Dunedin via the Taieri Gorge
Railway, he will take you and your luggage to the 'station' at
- Otherwise, it's all aboard for the scenic drive back to
Queenstown, with pit stops for sightseeing and refreshments
Please Note: Lunches and dinners are at the guests expense.
Contact us for other four day options. We can tailor a tour to
suit your needs and budget.